My mom once gave my Great-Grandmother a journal and asked her to fill it with advice, guidance, prayers, scripture, and memories. She wanted it to be personalized, something she could share with my sister and I and treasure for years to come. My Great-Grandmother was an inspirational woman. She lived a hard life, but she never ceased to give God praise. Her wisdom deserves to be shared, not just within our family, but with anyone who will listen.

May 13th 2006

"This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it."
-Psalm 118:24 NIV

     The most frequent challenge I face in my spiritual life is rejoicing in today. Intellectually, I know that each day is a gift from God - we have no guarantee that tomorrow will come. Emotionally, however, because of fears and anxieties that arise in my heart, I am tempted to look to tomorrow for relief. 
     Yielding to that temptation is unhealthy for my relationship with Christ. I fail to follow the Holy Spirit and forfeit the peace and joy that comes from abiding in Christ today. I also make an idol out of the future, falsely presuming that it will satisfy my need for peace and freedom from the world's entrapments. 
     The rest of Psalm 118 sheds light on how to make verse 24 real. Give thanks, recognizing God's goodness and love, which are eternal and unchanged. Know that God is my helper, my strength, and my salvation. When I submit to God at the beginning of each day, immersing myself in God's love, I am able to rejoice in the day. I am glad, not because of earthly circumstances, but because of God's love, hidden in my heart. 

Prayer:
     God, surround us this day with your love and holiness. Protect us from the temptation to fret about tomorrow, and help us to rejoice in today. Amen.

Thought for the Day:
Each new day is a new opportunity to experience fullness of life. 

I love you Lord Jesus and I praise you!

Thank you for every blessing you have ever given to  me.

Praise the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment